<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/5615862?origin\x3dhttp://spof.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Single Point of Failure
..If you haven't figured out what it is, it's probably too late to do anything about it.
Yes, I'm doing this for fun...


A while a go, a good friend gave me a laptop. Don't get too excited, it is a NEC Versa S/50. circa 1996, this machine was fairly hot stuff, lightweight, colour screen, featuring Windows 95! Wow. Still, I was excited when I saw it, because I knew I could give it a new life. I'm embarassed to admit that I'm not an active linux user, but with limited computer resources, and not much free time, I really haven't been able to get into it. Here is my chance. This old brick will be my ticket into the 5th circle of geekdom. The journey won't be easy, the machine has a ~250 Mb HDD, 8Mb RAM, and no CD drive. However, it does have an external floppy, a 14.4 modem, and a 10 kb NIC. If I can find 14 floppies, I'm thinking of going with Tiny Linux. There are lots of other small distros out there, but most are CD based. I will endeavour to keep you updated as to my progress in this project, and any input, feedback is welcome. A measure of sucess would be to post to this blog from the laptop, I'll aim for that and see what happens.

Posted on 20040413 at 21:45 by codeBoy
Post a Comment