http://www.theforce.net/holonet/index.shtml#23198
Well, true to form, the man in the plaid shirt has chosen to ignore a whole bunch of people and just go ahead and do what he wants. I've tried ignoring people and just doing what I want, but it never made the news (thank goodness), although, I WAS RIGHT. Maybe that's the difference.
I have to agree with the purists, it is these films in their original form that hooked us to begin with, and it is worth honoring them. I love the originals, and I also like the SE's, but they are different. The originals are in a sense a period piece - a sci-fi trilogy made with the best of the tech from '77-'83. The SE's are as if those films had been made in '97. Lucas wishes he could have captured the spirit that was there in '77, and mated it with the tech in '98 to create Ep. 1 & 2, but it is just not there.
Maybe the technology is to blame? So much of the shooting is set on bluescreens, the actors have no idea what they are acting with. Just read between the lines of everything Ewan says about filming Ep. 1-3, you can feel the frustration. Will I buy the DVD's? Yes, but more for the sake of convenience than anything else - a more stable format than tape.
I don't expect the supplements to impress me. I remember watching From Star Wars to Jedi: The Making of a Saga on 16MM, and I loved seeing all the model work. The emphasis back then was different, money was an issue, so creativity and innovation thrived. These days, the money and the tech is ready and waiting, which means ideas that shouldn't make it past the paper get made anyway just because it's so easy to make it so.
Posted on 20040213 at 08:28 by codeBoy
Must. Retain. Interest. In. Franchise.